Houghton Mifflin Leveled Readers
The Houghton Mifflin Leveled Readers, developed by Irene Fountas, are designed specifically to meet the diverse learning needs of students in today’s classroom. Some key elements of this programme are:
- A rich selection of engaging, original fiction and nonfiction literature allows students to apply skills and strategies at their own instructional level and therefore increase fluency and independence at a rapidly accelerated pace.
- The diversity of leveled texts can be used for flexible small reading groups designed to strengthen children’s reading skills, as well as independent reading that builds fluency and expands reading experiences.
- Complete teaching support gives you rich support for each book, as well as effective tools to assess reading strengths and weaknesses, and track and monitor student progress.
With four levels of support for every grade, Below Level, On Level, Above Level and Language Support Level, the Leveled Readers are ideal for
- Regular classroom use • Intervention programs
- Flexible group instruction • Gifted and talented programs
Individual lesson plans, audio CDs, and activity cards provide timesaving tools for small-group work and minimize prep time and ease classroom management:
- Audio CDs containing all Leveled Readers selection
- Leveled practice and application of skills with activity sheets and graphic organizers to evaluate:
- Activity cards for extension, book-share activities, projects, and partner or small-group discussions.
- Oral Reading Records to observe, assess, and document student progress